Friday, December 31, 2010

Pre-departure NYE

I'd like to say my NYE was filled with champagne and good friends in the D, alas I am leaving for Barcelona tomorrow (!!!!!) and therefore, in place of going out and enjoying myself, I have been frantically packing for the last 12 hours or so.

I'm just hoping that I don't forget to bring something essential; some object without which I would inevitably never make it to Barcelona/be sad and lost in Barcelona/get all my shit stolen/fail all my classes/become deathly ill/etc. Too many things to worry about, ugh.

Still, having spent a very very quiet evening in my house painfully prioritizing which pieces of clothes are not actually necessary to bring (Bird sweatah :( ) I have come to realize that sometimes a quiet evening alone is what the doctor ordered when at this particular level of anxiety.

On that note, despite my desire to post Juju's fave New Year's Song (Dobry Vechir Toby, performed ridiculously by a bunch of Ukrainian quasi-celebrities), I found a much more appropriate щедрик (new year's song) to match my particular brand of 2010/2011 NYE.

I should mention:  Ukrainian NYE is actually January 13 and, in its true form, is super folk-y and pagan. For this reason, almost none of the щедрівки (NYE songs) mention god/jesus/etc and pretty much focus on hopes for a good harvest, fertile wife, etc--only the most important things in life, you see. 

"Carol of the Bells" in its original form is one of these NYE carols, and therefore has very very similar lyrical narrative to the below song--a little swallow flies on this good night, it starts to sing and greet the good people, "Come out and look at the sheep pen, where you have great bounty and flocks. Your livestock is great and you're going to have lots of money!" 

Meaning: all about the harvest, 0 about jesus. Just like I like it.




Hint: 1:20 or so is when it really picks up.

... Anyway, heritage aside, happy 2011 everyone! Hope it is as great as 2010. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment